ViewESE allows you to view the contents of an Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) database. This is a "read only" utility, so it does not allow you to make any changes to the database.
Windows has many ESE databases, they are used for:
- Edge favorites
- Software updates (patches)
- Browser history
- Desktop searches
- Active Directory
- Exchange Email system
There are several other free utilities for reading ESE databases... but they typically do not have the ability to view the table schema or table indexes. Some other utilities are very buggy, and return nonsense when they run across a column they don't understand.
Version 1.1.1 - 25 May 2018
- This is a minor update
- Added better error messages
Version 1.1.0 - 12 May 2018
- This is a minor update with a new feature
- Added the ability read from an ESE backup file
Version 1.0.1 - 18 Sep 2016
- This is a minor performance update
- Added a way to configure the "MaxPages" item
This is a very simple database viewer. You start with opening an ESE database with the File->Open Database menu, then you select the table you wish to view from the list of tables in the database.
- Open Data - Select an ESE database to open
- Open Table - Select a table from the list of available tables
- Exit - Exit the application (duh!)
- Contents - View the contents of the table (the records)
- Schema - View the internal structure of the table
- Indexes - View the indexes of the table
This application and its source code are placed in the "public domain". That means it's completely free, with no restrictions on its use. There is no license, so you can do anything you want with it, to include making money from it. You are also free to tinker with it, modify it, add new features, etc.
This application makes extensive use of the following libraries:
Other Related Projects
Take a look at these related projects:
View other projects by Emmet Gray at http://www.emmet-gray.com
There is no Windows installer... this is a simple standalone utility. The ViewESE.zip file below just has the single ViewESE.exe executable file.